“Sanbun,” or Saijo Industrial and Cultural Festival was held on April 29th. Our students did volunteer work at “the International Cafe.” The following are their impressions.
* I was very nervous. So I was not able to act as I thought. I had not known this festival, so now I feel happy that I was able to join it. I wll join other volunteer activities.
* Eating an African food called “Sambusa,” seeing the musical instrument. I learned different cultures. As a volunteer, by thinking and acting onmy own, I became able to look around and did my best. In the future, I would like to learn more about different cultures.
* I took part in the volunteer work of the international exchange. I talked with local residents and students from Africa. I explained about African games to children. I learned the importance of working and consideration. Also, I learned what we did makes visitors happy. I’m glad that I realized this. I want to study English more and more, and increase my own opportunities to interact with foreigners.
* It was good to be able to interact with many people and to convey the good points of East Africa. Although I was a little uneasy during my first volunteer activity, I finally enjoyed it. I want to be involved in the local activities in the future, and I want to be able to do something to make our area better.
- I was happy that many people participated in our presentation and the quiz. I want many people to be interested in foreign countries by telling them what we have learned through the UK study tour.
- I took part in the industrial and cultural festival held in Saijo. We told citizens what we learned through the UK tour. The presentation enables us to understand the UK more deeply.
The following is our ALT’s essay:
I am really looking forward to Golden Week as it’s a holiday we don’t have in the UK. I believe now is the best time to go on vacation in Japan. The weather is great, not being too hot or too cold. Japanese spring time is my favourite season as it is so beautiful. I’m happy to have time to appreciate this season properly. I thought Golden Week was one big holiday but it turns out to be a few smaller national holidays that are close together. This year is extra special as the emperor is changing so it’s going to be a 10 day long national break.
During Golden Week I plan to go to Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka and Tokyo. I am most looking forward to seeing Kobe as I have heard a lot about Kobe’s delicious Wagyu beef. It’s famous for being the best beef in the world so I’m eager to try it. I hope everyone has a wonderful Golden Week this year!
We are looking forward to listening to her story!
Online English Conversation Lessons for the freshmen of the fiscal year 2019 started on April 17. The following are the students’ answers to the task “Try!”:
I prefer to relax at hole on the weekend. I have two reasons. First, I study very hard so I get tired. Second, I like to play video games. I want to lay them on the weekend. Therrefore, I prefer to relax at home on the weekend.
I prefer to relax at home on the weekend, because I like home. And I like making sweets. I often make a cake with my mother. It is difficult for me to make one. But it is very interesting.
I like to relax at home on the weeken, becaause studying and practicing tennis is very tiring. Study is very difficult for me and I have a lot of homework. I practice tennis for a very long time, two hours. So I like to relax at home on the weekend.
The following is the latter half of Shelley’s essay:
However, a place in England called Salisbury holds an annual St George’s pageant and is believed to be an old tradition, that they have practised since the 13th century. Over the years Saint George has had many stories told about him, from being a brilliant knight during the crusades to save a city from a fire breathing dragon by killing the creature. So even though it is not as widely celebrated as St Patrick’s Day its still part of British culture and heritage.
The following is Shelley’s essay:
In England we have St George’s Day celebrated on the 23rd of April. It used to be as popular as Christmas day but that is no longer the case. The holiday steadily decreased in popularity by the 18th century after England and Scotland united. It is still celebrated to this day but it’s not one of the major events for most people during the year. To this day there are some politicians that want the day to be revived as a national holiday once again.