The following is our ALT’s story of the Golden Week holiday.
For Golden Week I decided to take a trip to Osaka and Tokyo. My friend Bao from the UK came to visit me during GW so we explored Japan together. I really like Osaka as I feel there is so much to do and see around that area. I really like all the different varieties of food you can get in Osaka. One of the highlights for me was trying fluffy pancakes for the first time at Micasadeco & Cafe. I think they might have been the most delicious pancakes that I have ever had. The pancake we so light, delicate and soft it felt like I was eating a cloud. For dinner, I had okonomiyaki at Chibo. It was very nice, I and my friend tried both Hiroshima and Osaka style okonomiyaki, but I could not choose which style I preferred.
The following are the students’ answers to the task “Try!”, whose topic is “Do you prefer to go out or relax at home on the weekend? And why?”
* I prefer to relax at home on the weekend, becuase I like to watch dramas, comedy shows and so on on TV. The often appear on the weekend. I want to watch them because they are very interesting. Also they give me a lot of knowledge. They are very useful.
* I like to relax at home on the weekend, because I like to play video games with my friends. Playing them is very fun for me. And, I like to watch baseball games, too. Watching them is very exciting.
* I prefer to relax at home on the weekend. I am very busy everyday, becuase I have to go to juku and practice my club activities. I want to sleep a lot on the weekend. But I sometimes go shopping with my family, because I can reduce stress through shopping. I often eat sweets!
* I prefer to go out on the weekend, because I can get various experiences. I often go to the gym to play badminton. I usually go there with my friends. Exercise is good for me and it’s fun. I enjoy playing it very much. I want to be able to play badminton very well.
* I like to go out better than to relax at home on the weekend, because I like exercise. I often play softball at school. I sometimes go shopping with my family on the weekend. Going shopping makes me and my family happy. I have a good time on the weekend.
“Sanbun,” or Saijo Industrial and Cultural Festival was held on April 29th. Our students did volunteer work at “the International Cafe.” The following are their impressions.
* I was very nervous. So I was not able to act as I thought. I had not known this festival, so now I feel happy that I was able to join it. I wll join other volunteer activities.
* Eating an African food called “Sambusa,” seeing the musical instrument. I learned different cultures. As a volunteer, by thinking and acting onmy own, I became able to look around and did my best. In the future, I would like to learn more about different cultures.
* I took part in the volunteer work of the international exchange. I talked with local residents and students from Africa. I explained about African games to children. I learned the importance of working and consideration. Also, I learned what we did makes visitors happy. I’m glad that I realized this. I want to study English more and more, and increase my own opportunities to interact with foreigners.
* It was good to be able to interact with many people and to convey the good points of East Africa. Although I was a little uneasy during my first volunteer activity, I finally enjoyed it. I want to be involved in the local activities in the future, and I want to be able to do something to make our area better.
- I was happy that many people participated in our presentation and the quiz. I want many people to be interested in foreign countries by telling them what we have learned through the UK study tour.
- I took part in the industrial and cultural festival held in Saijo. We told citizens what we learned through the UK tour. The presentation enables us to understand the UK more deeply.
The following is our ALT’s essay:
I am really looking forward to Golden Week as it’s a holiday we don’t have in the UK. I believe now is the best time to go on vacation in Japan. The weather is great, not being too hot or too cold. Japanese spring time is my favourite season as it is so beautiful. I’m happy to have time to appreciate this season properly. I thought Golden Week was one big holiday but it turns out to be a few smaller national holidays that are close together. This year is extra special as the emperor is changing so it’s going to be a 10 day long national break.
During Golden Week I plan to go to Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka and Tokyo. I am most looking forward to seeing Kobe as I have heard a lot about Kobe’s delicious Wagyu beef. It’s famous for being the best beef in the world so I’m eager to try it. I hope everyone has a wonderful Golden Week this year!
We are looking forward to listening to her story!
Online English Conversation Lessons for the freshmen of the fiscal year 2019 started on April 17. The following are the students’ answers to the task “Try!”:
I prefer to relax at hole on the weekend. I have two reasons. First, I study very hard so I get tired. Second, I like to play video games. I want to lay them on the weekend. Therrefore, I prefer to relax at home on the weekend.
I prefer to relax at home on the weekend, because I like home. And I like making sweets. I often make a cake with my mother. It is difficult for me to make one. But it is very interesting.
I like to relax at home on the weeken, becaause studying and practicing tennis is very tiring. Study is very difficult for me and I have a lot of homework. I practice tennis for a very long time, two hours. So I like to relax at home on the weekend.