The following is our ALT’s story of her Golden Week Trip.
On the 1st of May, I travelled to Tokyo using the shinkansen. The first thing I did was go to the Imperial Palace as I wanted to be there on the first day of Reiwa, the Palace gardens are very beautiful. In Tokyo, I got to eat Monjayaki for the first time. It looked awful compared to most Japanese food. I wasn’t sure I wanted to try it as its appearance really wasn’t appetising, but after the first bite, I realised how tasty it was. I also went to a modern art museum in Koto called TeamLab Planets. It’s an interactive experience where it plays with your senses of sound, sight touch and smell. Each room I walked through was different. My favourite was a room filled will lights hanging from the ceiling. They changed colours and made patterns, it was mesmerising to look at. I highly recommend anyone going to Tokyo to try it out, it’s a lot of fun.
The following is our ALT’s story titled “My Golden Week Trip 2″
Osaka is a great place to stay if you want to visit other places. It is incredibly easy to visit Kobe and Kyoto from Osaka. On Sunday the 28th of April I went to Kobe with one of my friends Ignatius. We went to the port where there was live music playing and many K-POP dancers performing on stage. The best thing about that day was going to a restaurant and eating Kobe beef. I treated myself to an A5 grade rib-eye steak and the chefs cooked it in front of me. It was the absolute best eating experience of my life. The meat was so tender and juicy, it had so much flavour in each bite I never wanted to stop chewing. The steak wasn’t very big so I was worried I would still be hungry afterwards, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. That meal was very filling and I even struggled to finish it.
The following is our ALT’s story of the Golden Week holiday.
For Golden Week I decided to take a trip to Osaka and Tokyo. My friend Bao from the UK came to visit me during GW so we explored Japan together. I really like Osaka as I feel there is so much to do and see around that area. I really like all the different varieties of food you can get in Osaka. One of the highlights for me was trying fluffy pancakes for the first time at Micasadeco & Cafe. I think they might have been the most delicious pancakes that I have ever had. The pancake we so light, delicate and soft it felt like I was eating a cloud. For dinner, I had okonomiyaki at Chibo. It was very nice, I and my friend tried both Hiroshima and Osaka style okonomiyaki, but I could not choose which style I preferred.
The following are the students’ answers to the task “Try!”, whose topic is “Do you prefer to go out or relax at home on the weekend? And why?”
* I prefer to relax at home on the weekend, becuase I like to watch dramas, comedy shows and so on on TV. The often appear on the weekend. I want to watch them because they are very interesting. Also they give me a lot of knowledge. They are very useful.
* I like to relax at home on the weekend, because I like to play video games with my friends. Playing them is very fun for me. And, I like to watch baseball games, too. Watching them is very exciting.
* I prefer to relax at home on the weekend. I am very busy everyday, becuase I have to go to juku and practice my club activities. I want to sleep a lot on the weekend. But I sometimes go shopping with my family, because I can reduce stress through shopping. I often eat sweets!
* I prefer to go out on the weekend, because I can get various experiences. I often go to the gym to play badminton. I usually go there with my friends. Exercise is good for me and it’s fun. I enjoy playing it very much. I want to be able to play badminton very well.
* I like to go out better than to relax at home on the weekend, because I like exercise. I often play softball at school. I sometimes go shopping with my family on the weekend. Going shopping makes me and my family happy. I have a good time on the weekend.
“Sanbun,” or Saijo Industrial and Cultural Festival was held on April 29th. Our students did volunteer work at “the International Cafe.” The following are their impressions.
* I was very nervous. So I was not able to act as I thought. I had not known this festival, so now I feel happy that I was able to join it. I wll join other volunteer activities.
* Eating an African food called “Sambusa,” seeing the musical instrument. I learned different cultures. As a volunteer, by thinking and acting onmy own, I became able to look around and did my best. In the future, I would like to learn more about different cultures.
* I took part in the volunteer work of the international exchange. I talked with local residents and students from Africa. I explained about African games to children. I learned the importance of working and consideration. Also, I learned what we did makes visitors happy. I’m glad that I realized this. I want to study English more and more, and increase my own opportunities to interact with foreigners.
* It was good to be able to interact with many people and to convey the good points of East Africa. Although I was a little uneasy during my first volunteer activity, I finally enjoyed it. I want to be involved in the local activities in the future, and I want to be able to do something to make our area better.
- I was happy that many people participated in our presentation and the quiz. I want many people to be interested in foreign countries by telling them what we have learned through the UK study tour.
- I took part in the industrial and cultural festival held in Saijo. We told citizens what we learned through the UK tour. The presentation enables us to understand the UK more deeply.
The following is our ALT’s essay:
I am really looking forward to Golden Week as it’s a holiday we don’t have in the UK. I believe now is the best time to go on vacation in Japan. The weather is great, not being too hot or too cold. Japanese spring time is my favourite season as it is so beautiful. I’m happy to have time to appreciate this season properly. I thought Golden Week was one big holiday but it turns out to be a few smaller national holidays that are close together. This year is extra special as the emperor is changing so it’s going to be a 10 day long national break.
During Golden Week I plan to go to Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka and Tokyo. I am most looking forward to seeing Kobe as I have heard a lot about Kobe’s delicious Wagyu beef. It’s famous for being the best beef in the world so I’m eager to try it. I hope everyone has a wonderful Golden Week this year!
We are looking forward to listening to her story!
Online English Conversation Lessons for the freshmen of the fiscal year 2019 started on April 17. The following are the students’ answers to the task “Try!”:
I prefer to relax at hole on the weekend. I have two reasons. First, I study very hard so I get tired. Second, I like to play video games. I want to lay them on the weekend. Therrefore, I prefer to relax at home on the weekend.
I prefer to relax at home on the weekend, because I like home. And I like making sweets. I often make a cake with my mother. It is difficult for me to make one. But it is very interesting.
I like to relax at home on the weeken, becaause studying and practicing tennis is very tiring. Study is very difficult for me and I have a lot of homework. I practice tennis for a very long time, two hours. So I like to relax at home on the weekend.
The following is the latter half of Shelley’s essay:
However, a place in England called Salisbury holds an annual St George’s pageant and is believed to be an old tradition, that they have practised since the 13th century. Over the years Saint George has had many stories told about him, from being a brilliant knight during the crusades to save a city from a fire breathing dragon by killing the creature. So even though it is not as widely celebrated as St Patrick’s Day its still part of British culture and heritage.
The following is Shelley’s essay:
In England we have St George’s Day celebrated on the 23rd of April. It used to be as popular as Christmas day but that is no longer the case. The holiday steadily decreased in popularity by the 18th century after England and Scotland united. It is still celebrated to this day but it’s not one of the major events for most people during the year. To this day there are some politicians that want the day to be revived as a national holiday once again.